1. What is your SCA name? (You don't have to write the full name, just your first name if you want.) - Orlaith (Orla) Carey. It used to be Orlaith of Storvik, but I decided to adopt the last name I really have if my Granddad hadn't been adopted. It gives Dad a kick every time he thinks of it.
2. What is your home kingdom? -Atlantia, Barony of Storvik
3. Have you ever lived in another kingdom? If so, where? - No. The plan is to someday move to the East Kingdom, Barony of Carolingia, but I'm not sure when.
4. Do you remember your first SCA event? When/what was it? - Yes - I went to Post Pennsic Revel the weekend before Princess Diana died. I wore a blue "irish dress", white chemise with angel wing sleeves and red skirt - all from Alteryear's patterns. The following weekend I saw the King and Queen for the first time at an event that I think took place in Sacred Stone - wearing the same outfit. I was down there for a wedding which had a Renn theme, which is how I found the SCA in the first place.
5. Do you have any awards? (You don't have to list them if you don't want) - Yep. Order of precendence listing. My favorite is the Silver Nautilus that LLT and I got for the Bobbin Lace Pillow cake that we made for Roxie's Laurel Vigil.
6. Do you list them after your name in communications like e-mail? - Nope, My sig line is -
Lady Orla Carey
Personal Secretary to Dame Roxanne Greenstreet
Co-Minion to Lady Tirzah McCrudden
Per bend sinister gules and Or, a wolf couchant contourny sable.
It needs to be adjusted to state "Deputy Seneschal, Barony of Storvik"
7. Do you have a device? - Yep see my sig line :)
8. Do you use it? On what? - I use it on LJ (see my icon) and my SCA resume. I can't draw the wolf so it's not on anything else.
9. Are you on all the kingdom/society lists available to you, or do you avoid them? - I'm on the Merry Rose plus the Barony lists for Storvik and Bright Hills. I'm on more than a handful of other lists related to the Society including the apprentice's list, but I'm not eligible for any order lists. Some of my lists I read obsessively but most of the yahoo groups only get skimmed if I have a reason to.
10. Do you keep your Pennsic/Estrella/Gulf Wars/etc. site tokens? - I have all the Pennsic tokens somewhere but they aren't together. Haven't been to any other major wars.
11. Do you keep the favours you've been given by royalty/friends/SOs, etc.? Do You wear them all? - Have never gotten a royal favor. I have three tokens that I can think of and they are all at home somewhere but I don't know where. One from Johanna, one from MENG that she gave me after we did the hairsticks and one from Herveus for the Bobbin Lace Cake. Also, the award medallion you are most likely to see me wear is my Silver Nautilus because Grendel took LLT's original medallion and cast it so it's double sided then gave LLT and me each one. While he made additional ones to give to the Kingdom LLT and I wear them most because it kinda feels like he made them for us.
12. Do you call your friends by their SCA names even when you're not at an event? - Yep, I follow Johanna's "one name policy". If I meet you and learn your name it's really hard to remember to call you by another one. Plus most people call/introduce me as Orla. For all practical purposes the only people who call me by my real name are family and co-workers. It actually feels weird if someone I know from the SCA calls me by my real name.
13. Do you go out to dinner in garb after an event? - Yep, I like doing it, but frederich doesn't. I think part of that is that my garb doesn't look as outlandish as his. Also I am slightly an exhibitionist when it comes to "freaking the mundanes".
14. Do you have all kinds of garb, or do you generally stick to one period? - I have a bit of lots of things. Nothing really good. My goal is to go to Flemish or Elizabethan
15. How many interests do you have within the SCA? What's your favourite? - Hrmmm...the ones I do - Bobbin Lace and Cooking. The ones I'm just interested in: Embroidery, Lampwork, Pottery, other forms of lace, costuming. Will be learning weaving soonish My favorite? Lace
16. Do you have an SCA-oriented web site (to show off projects, keep dress diaries, etc.)? - Kinda of two actually - The main one is which has my SCA Resume and my picturetrail site which holds the pictures of completed projects. There is also the almost never updated blog sieveportrait
17. Do you maintain a hairstyle that is more period style than modern? How about any other part of your appearance? - Nope, not really. I had long hair until I needed the Mono haircut and I'm growing it out again but it'll never really be long enough to look "period".
18. Do you tell "No $###, there I was" stories? (Admit it.) Do any of them involve well-known SCA people? - Every once in a while - but no they really don't include well known people. The closest I have to that are the Tuchux stories since Animal is one of the more well known Tuchux.
19. Authenticity is Fun. Yes or no? Why? - Yes, because history is interesting - isn't that why we're here? But it's also hard work which I haven't really put in. It's a goal but not one I'm even close to achieving.
20. Is there one modern thing at events that really bugs you? - People not wearing garb for the most part. The most irritating thing I ever saw at an event was at Pennsic - someone wearing full Elizabethan chemise, corset, bum roll - everything except the dress.
Bonus Question! 21. Everyone has a shameful garb/accessory mistake hidden somewhere in their past. What's yours? (We're all friends here, we promise not to laugh. Much.) Most of what I wore when I was with Animal - the "Tuchux garb" is now confined almost completely to after dark at Pennsic. Also the fact that after being in the SCA for nine years I'm still wearing bad "bog dresses" almost exclusively during the day at Pennsic.